Motivation to solve Problemsets

Home Forums Discussion Forum Motivation to solve Problemsets

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Karin Brown 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Moritz

I think most students have experienced the situation: Sometimes you just cannot get yourself to solve an arduous problem set. The next week you can’t find time to do it because of extracurricular activities. After that you realise that you have fallen far behind on the course and give up on solving problemsets all together. Finally during the summer it dawns on you that this wasn’t the best idea.

During a statistics course I made a deal with a friend: Every time one of us didn’t show up in the exercise classes or didn’t solve his exercise he had to buy the other one a coffee.
    The small “punishment” of 2.- and the chance of getting a “reward”-coffee was enough for us to solve all but one exercise and show up for a 7:45 exercise class.

I think it would help a lot of students if we could find a way of implementing such direct reward systems on a bigger level.

What is your opinion on that?

Karin Brown
    Keymaster

Hi Moritz
    I think this is a great idea! There is also research out there that supports the effectiveness of your idea.
    I heard of a woman who quit smoking by committing to donate money to a political group she despised every time she smoked a cigarette. The Tiny Habits programme is also based on this idea of celebrating tiny successes.
    Best,
    Karin

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)