Using dynamic e-books for course content

Home Forums Discussion Forum Using dynamic e-books for course content

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Prageeth Jayathissa 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Prageeth Jayathissa

Websites such as gitbook can create a dynamic learning environment for reviewing course content.

What this course teaches
    Here, I have written an example of how this may look like. The course teaches students to develop their own building simulation tool using python. By doing so the student will learn
    – How to program in Python
    – Basic applied thermodynamics
    – How to solve thermal circuits
    – Basic mathematical integration
    – How to build their own simulation tool

Benefits of this style of material
    This course can be taught entirely without instruction. The software allows students to
    – Comment directly on the lines of text where they are confused. The questions are gathered in a list that the teacher and other students can see
    – Solve problems directly in the text with direct feedback. See the bottom of page 2
    – Have inbuilt youtube videos so video instruction can be combined with the text
    – Embed code which can be copied and pasted

In this example, the student should teach themselves without complementary lectures. But in principle, this could be expanded to lecture material.

Time taken
    So far, this document has taken me 6 hours to create, including the figures and code. It is not yet complete

Issues
    There are still some bugs in the program. For example, the equations do not show without the browser being refreshed. However, with some work, this style of lecture documentation can be quite useful.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

– Prageeth Jayathissa (PJ)

Prageeth Jayathissa

And one very important point which I missed above is the collective contribution of the students. If a student finds a better way of explaining something, they can modify the document, and submit the changes for review.
    The teacher is informed of the proposed changes and can choose to accept or reject them.

The content can also be released as open source. This allows other teachers from other institutions to also suggest changes and new content which can be accepted or rejected by the owner of the document. The changes are managed with git. In essence, it brings the open source world of software engineering, to teaching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)