Learning space (organic architecture)

Home Forums Discussion Forum Learning space (organic architecture)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Moritz 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gökhan Bag

Since this innovedum is about teaching and learning I want to tackle the learning side with an idea. Clearly the space where the learning is done shapes the thinking process and a supportive architectural environment makes a difference.

The ideal learning environment is inviting, easily accessible, has both large and small spaces, and a lot of sunlight to create a pleasant atmosphere.

From an architectural point of view, organic architecture creates this.

Rolex Learning Center

The Rolex Learning Center is a prime example. In immediate proximity of UNIL and EPFL, publicly accessible and open until midnight everyday, this architectural landmark is the epitome of a thinking space. The absence of right angles and the gentle flow of the entirety of the building liberates what a “building” is and allows for more free thinking. Equipped with both tables and chairs for productivity and with amorphous bean bag chairs for relaxing, it’s just a creator’s space.

Apple Campus II

Another example is Apple Campus II, currently under construction in Cupertino.

ETHZ could also have its own thinking space. Here, the idea of the new building at Gloriastrasse can be expanded to be part of a larger university space complex and create there a new learning space to entrench Zurich as a prime location for innovation.

Karin Brown
    Keymaster

Hi Gökhan
    I really like how you are inviting us to rethink how we design and create physical spaces in order to support different ways of thinking and working. Exciting stuff!

Moritz

I also envy the EPFL students for their learning center.
    Have you gotten the email about the student project house? Maybe you could collaborate with them and try to expand that project. (This way you don’t have to produce something “out of thin air”)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)